Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 22:08:20 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
Cc:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>, Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>, David Loszewski <stealth215@mediaone.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ^M on end of lines

On Saturday 03 November 2001 15:56, David Banning wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 08:24:30AM -0500, Brian T. Schellenberger wrote:
> > On Friday 02 November 2001 22:37, David Banning wrote:
> > > For some reason I get the ^M's, but only when I use script like so
> > > when I do a compile in the ports;
> > >
> > > 'cd /usr/ports/whatever'
> > > 'script tempfile make install'
> > >
> > > Then 'vi tempfile' shows a copy of the make progress with lots of ^M's.
> >
> > The ^Ms are invisible in, say, an xterm, so if you care comparting vi'ing
> > the file to just cat'ing it, it could be a matter of whether you *see*
> > them rather than whether they are *there*.
>
> I am using xterm, and when I go;
>
> 'script tempfile ls'
>
> I get ^M's at the end of every line in tempfile. Don't you?

Yes.  But I don't see how that contradicts what I said: They aren't visible
in the xterm, just in the scriptfile.  (Because I really did type in a CR.)
But this should be true for Linux as well, so, again

- FreeBSD should be the same Linux;
- If you FTP in the same mode, FTP should not insert or remove ^Ms; and
- The aren't visible in XTerms.

I think that's what I said last time . . . it's what I meant to say anyway.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------