Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 1997 11:33:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        RICHARD@aaicorp.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Repost: Re: FreeBSD Basics

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997 RICHARD@aaicorp.com wrote:

> I am reposting several messages I sent to this group because our
> mail server was down for a time yesterday and I never saw these
> messages come in with my freebsd-questions mail.
>

> > > I would like to know if there is a way I could find out about all the
> > > commands available to me, I have looked in the manual but it seems to
> > > go
> > > a bit in depth at this stage.

There are "commands" that are the names of programs, and then there are
a bunch of commands that are built-in shell commands.  For the latter,
read about your shell, man csh, for example.

The other commands (which may include some that can only be run from
within programs) are on the whole kept in directories ending with "bin",
e.g., /usr/bin, /usr/sbin/, /usr/local/bin, and the like.  You can cd
to one of these directories and type
whatis *
and it will give you a listing of the binaries and a one-line description
of what they are.  Then you can follow up the ones that interest you
with other sources--the manual pages, books, and so forth.

Annelise