Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:44:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Subject:   Re: A question about timecounters

OK, adding the splhigh() around the body of microuptime seems to have
solved the problem.  After 45 minutes of running the same test as
before, I haven't gotten a single message.  If I get one later, I'll
let you know.

> >I'm testing that now.  But for how long would microuptime have to
> >be interrupted to make this happen?  Surely not 7.81 seconds!  On
> >this same machine I have a curses application running which is
> >updating the screen once a second.  It never misses a beat, and
> >userland is very responsive.
>
> Well, that is what I don't understand yet either :-)
>
> The fact that the delta is not exactly 2^32 * cpu clock is probably
> blindingly obviously indicative of "why", but I havn't solved the
> puzzle yet...

I've been staring at the code, but I haven't gotten it yet either.

> Since you are running with a 10000 HZ, NTIMECOUNTER should probably
> be considerably increased.  (Actually it might be a good idea to
> simply set NTIMECOUNTER == hz ... hmmm...)

I don't follow that.  As I read the code, the "current" timecounter
is only advanced every second -- not every 1/HZ seconds.  Why should
more of them be needed when HZ is large?

> You didn't say if you ran with standard NTIMECOUNTER right now,
> but 5 would be awfully short time at HZ=10000: 500 usec...

Well, microseconds aren't what they used to be ... :-) But isn't it
true that the current timecounter only advances every second?  I think
I have 5 seconds, not 5/HZ seconds.

John
--
  John Polstra