Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 1998 05:15:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      rmiya@cc.hirosaki-u.ac.jp
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/8694: Recommend to change category name: biology -> chemistry or etc.

>Number:         8694
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Recommend to change category name: biology -> chemistry or etc.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Of course, I know that `biology' include wide areas, like those
from biochemistry to zoology. However, most of applications
registered in ports/biology are connected to the field of
molecular science, the academic field like that is usually called as
`chemistry'. Peoples who are interested in the molecular sciense
are hard to imagin that the category `biology' contains `chemistry'.

Even DNAs, proteins, and sugars are well known as biological materials,
more primitive molecules and other kind of ones can also be treated by
the programs listed in ports/biology. Then, I recommend to change
the category name of `biology' to more basic/fundamental name
or interdisciplinary name as one of the followings:
  chemistry, biochemistry, biology-chemistry.

If it will not, the applications in computational chemistry,
such as molecular orbital calculations, etc., will be submitted
in *new* category of `chemistry'.

I'm disappointed to split the field nearby, and to be confusing in
category of packages/ports.