Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 1997 10:00:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@revelstone.jvm.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mmap failure on > 6 telnets

I just installed 2.1.6 on a new system (yes, I know about 2.1.7, but
Walnut Creek hasn't seen fit to send my subscription copy yet and ftp
install failed).  Anyhow, if I start more than 6 or so telnet sessions,
the last one locks up and attempts to run anything else results in a
"mmap failure: 12", an incredibly helpful error message as you can see.
It also affects attempts to log in via console, so a power-off-on reboot
is the only recovery.  I also came in this morning and found it in this
state when noone had been accessing the machine all night except for ftp.
A look with top right before the lockup shows over 38 megs of free RAM.

Our 2.1.5 systems have never exibited this kind of problem.  Can someone
give me some ideas on what is going wrong here?