Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:53:13 +0000
From:      Xian <ian@codepad.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Leaving a Computer Running ?

On Sunday 06 February 2005 01:30, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> If you turn it off, you should check /etc/crontab and decide
> when to perform the nightly maintenance.
I turn my computer off over night so I can sleep. This would mean missing the
cron stuff but since most of it is done by periodic, I have a script that is
started on boot that checks to see if the periodic stuff has been done in the
last day, if not it does it and switches the computer off afterwards.

Combined with a magic packet every morning from another machine that runs
24/7, It gets all the jobs done and servers as an alarm clock :-)

--
/Xian

"You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist"
Golda Meir