Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:46:00 -0800
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1103142020.ff874b@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gateway_enable question

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 03:20:14PM -0500, David Banning wrote:
> > >My thought was to disable the gateway configuration set in rc.conf.
> > >How do I disable the gateway option without rebooting?
> >
> > I have gateway enabled, but natd disabled, which blocks the
> > traffic from inside to outside, I believe.
>
> I have my nat running in ppp, and when I disable it, all the network
> still happily connects to the net. I don't have natd running either.
> Figure that out. I may be that squid is doing some nat function.

Do all win boxes use squid for their internet traffic and is squid
located on the nat router?  If so then the win boxes don't need nat or
even for the route to have ip forwarding enabled since all that happens
is they open a connection to squid and tell it to get a webpage, then
squid opens a new connection to talk to the website.  So the traffic on
the internet is really generated by the router which isn't really
routing at all.