Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2013 15:09:44 -0500
From:      Jad Cooper <jadcooper@yahoo.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "george@ceetonetechnology.com" <george@ceetonetechnology.com>, Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi image and pkg_add, pkg etc

Excellent - thanks for your responses -=20

how then should one proceed after downloading and installing the RPI=20
Image - freebsd-pi-r245446.img.gz?

This is sort of my original point, how do I get involved in creating the rep=
o/building packaged for FreeBSD10-Current and/or tweaking the image- the goa=
l being that a hobbyist or high school student can download the image, copy t=
o the disk, boot and start downloading packages?

Perhaps I'm behind in versions ? Did I download a very early version of the b=
uild for RPI ? I'm just looking for direction or to join an effort to make i=
t more streamlined right from the outset.

Cheers,

On Mar 6, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 12:40:34PM -0500, Jad Cooper wrote:
>>=20
>> On Mar 6, 2013, at 11:31 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:=

>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Not on the FreeBSD side, we do not provide any packages for arm, may tha=
t be
>>> pkgng or the old pkg_install, where did you find any packages?
>> I found the .txz files
>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/arm/packages=20
>> The file I use with pkgng is the repo.txz file in that directory -=20
>=20
> Oh I forgot about those one, but they are very old and build on a 9.x box.=

>>>=20
, so a manual build is necessary - downloading the txz and extracting it  le=
aves it missing several libraries.
>>> To manually build pkgng the best is to use the ports tree which does eve=
rything
>>> needed for you.
>>>=20
>>> How does it leaves missing libraries and what libraries, I do myself usr=
 pkgng
>>> on a pandoboard with no problem you mean you have done the whole thing b=
y hand
>>> (picking the sources and building?).
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Yes I downloaded the source from github and built it using make etc
>=20
> Meaning you are now running on the master code which can easily be broken
> (branch release-1.0 for stable things)
>>=20
>>=20
et manually using the setenv packagesite
>>> It can also be specified via pkg.conf but this is only useful if you hav=
e any
>>> repository available somewhere to make binary only installation
>>>=20
>>=20
>> I have the repo as above - the problem is that the pkg.conf file isn't in=
 the image...
>=20
> Nope because 1.0b16 is really old and buggy for pkgng
>>=20
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> I don't get this one? can you give more details?
>>=20
>> When I do "pkg install curl" for example=20
>>=20
>> It resolves the package but when it tries to install it complains that th=
e version is not correct, saying that the version is incorrect built for 9 b=
ut not 10the exact output I don't have - but=20
>>=20
>> "pkg install -f curl" works it just forces it to install - and curl then w=
orks=20
>=20
> Sure you are trying to install package build on a FreeBSD 9 into a FreeBSD=
 10.
> curl works just because you got some compatibility bit able to use FreeBSD=
 9
> binaries but if one of the base library ABI has changed since 9 it would h=
ave
> been broken
>=20
>>=20
 are the tools, files/condos I'd like to repair so that the image is immedia=
tely useful for RPI.=20
or students to get started with it.=20
>>>=20
>>> Use the ports tree until we are able to create an arm build cluster, or u=
se some
>>> of the third party package repositories available out there (sorry I hav=
e no
>>> link for arm, just know that it does exists :)
>>>=20
>> Isn't that FTP directory the ARM repo??
>=20
> Somehow :), but I do not recommand to use it :)
>=20
>>=20
>> Maybe I'm missing some very fundamental FreeBSD insight but the FTP folde=
rs above contain the compressed binary packages for almost everything - even=
 without pkgng or pkg_add I could install most using=20
>> tar - zxvPf package.txz , granted I had a lot of missing dependencies but=
 yeah the ARM bins are all there I thought...