Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 20:27:09 +0100
From:      Olivier Cortes <receiver@deep-ocean.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   memory problem.

Hello all,

I've been searching for half an hour in the archive some info,
but i did'nt find anything relevant.

my problem is:

today i upgraded my home server (PIII 450) from 512M (256 + 2x128) to 784M (3x256),
and it seems to be *very much* slower than yesterday.

mutt takes up to 50/60% CPU when i move in a mail, less eats 40% when
i do a search in a file, and generaly, my system seems to react with
some kind of 'delay' when i hit a key or click on something.
when i compose in vi, the corresponding wterm (rxvt like) uses nearly 1% cpu.
WindowMaker is obfuscaly eating 40%COU when i do simple things with windows,
and it didn't even awake (from SLEEP state) yesterday and months before...
when i don't do anything, only XF86_Mach64 is taking 1/2% CPU. everything else is quiet.

I run 4.3-BETA from 14 March. cvsup/make world done the same day.
(i encoutered some wierd problem with vinum. --> don't reboot after installing new kernel
and before installing world --> put it of from 'UPDATING', it is a bad idea, especially
if /usr/src & /usr/obj are on the vinum stripe !!!)

some advise ? any idea ?
thanx in advance.

regards,

---
Olivier Cortes
free software admin

PS: if you need other info on the hardware, just ask. but i don't think it wiil help
'cause it was the same before and after.