Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:06:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rsh/Rlogin/Rcmd & friends

Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

> So what!  That's the price of security.  I believe that the
> telnet/ftp/"r" commands shouldn't even be ports.  We need to make it
> difficult to install unsafe software on the system.  That way the admin
> would have to go to all the trouble to find the source for unsafe
> software somewhere on the Net, port it, and install it.  Then it's not
> FreeBSD's fault if that admin's system is compromised.

This is a somewhat myoptic view of the world.  If I didn't
read your sig, I would have thought you worked with only
FreeBSD boxes.

When I got the OSF1 box several years ago, I intended to
use amanda for remote back-ups.  Well, amanda wasn't 64-bit
clean, and I had an helluva time trying to get OSF1 and
FreeBSD talking.  I haven't tried amanda lately so may be
it works nows, but having rdump/rrstore on OSF1 and
/etc/rmt of FreeBSD made it straight forward to back-up the
OSF1 system.

FreeBSD provides the bullets.  It up to the admin to shoot
his foot or not.

--
Steve