Date:      Thu, 08 May 2003 09:53:23 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ideal laptop recommendations?

> Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 09:43:20 -0700
> From: Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> "Jesse D. Guardiani" <jesse@wingnet.net> wrote:
>
> > How long have you had the Thinkpad? And do you know where I might purchase
> > one besides On-line? (Bestbuy and Circuit City don't carry them)
>
>      I've had it since mid-January or so.  Sorry, I don't know of any
> brick-and-mortar stores that carry them.
>
>      Just to give a more balanced view (lest others think that we're all
> IBM zealots), my Thinkpad A31 is a nice, solid notebook, but it's not
> completely without issues/problems:
>
> * The A31 does not come with a floppy.  You can get an external floppy,
>   but it's an USB floppy.  This is not an issue for me (I can still boot
>   from CDROM), but it's an issue for some.

If you buy the port replicator, you can plug a standard floppy drive into
it. (That's how I connect my floppy to my T30.)

> * If you want to dual-boot Windows and FreeBSD, and still keep the
>   special IBM software that allows you to quickly reinstall Windows from
>   an hidden partition (it's very nice), you'll have to specially-install
>   FreeBSD, as the IBM software appears to use a "boot track" instead of
>   a "boot sector".  The normal FreeBSD approach of installing a new boot
>   sector *will* screw things up (for the IBM software, not FreeBSD).
>
>   Note that you don't have to preserve the IBM software.  You can always
>   wipe the disk clean and install FreeBSD onto the entire disk.  It's
>   only if you want to dual-boot where this becomes a problem.  And,
>   it's definitely an issue, as some (many? most? all?) Thinkpads DO NOT
>   COME WITH WINDOWS RECOVERY CDROMS.  Unless you pay extra ($20-$30???)
>   and order the recovery CDROMs from IBM (I think they're "free" if you
>   get them within the first 30 days after getting a Thinkpad), the only
>   way to "reinstall" windows is via the special recovery partition (and
>   using it REQUIRES an intact/unchanged boot sector).

For some period after you buy a ThinkPad (1 year?) IBM has shipped the
CD free on request. IF YOU GET A THINKPAD, ALWAYS REQUEST THIS!

> * With 5.0-RELEASE, ACPI is broken.  I haven't tried the latest -current
>   with the recent ACPI updates, however, although I am using the latest
>   IBM A31 BIOS.

Still broken, as far as I can tell, but getting closer.

> * APM seems to work, but there are issues: I can't get the laptop to
>   hibernate (suspend-to-disk), and suspending from X11 causes the resume
>   to "hang" (LCD display becomes "blotchy" without displaying any text
>   or graphics).  The latter is possibly fixed with newer versions of
>   XFree86 (I'm using 4.2.1, and need to upgrade), and the workaround is
>   to switch to a vty before suspending.

Nope. Still broken. This is common to all ATI Radeon Mobility M7 systems
from any vendor. You can recover the display by switching to a vty,
turning the display off and turning it back on and switching back to X.

I would strongly recommend going to XFree86 4.3. The new Radeon driver
is much improved.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)