Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:55:56 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Jeff Baker <Jeff.Baker@acadhotline.net.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbee

I suspect that there is not the magic document that you speak of.

Any unix like OS will have a steep initial learning curve, and there
is a lot of learning to do.  What I would say is that it is worth
the trip, just hang in there.

Also, Microsoft have had many years in this business, and have a
huge budget, so they can spend a lot on their documentation.  Good
technical writing is very hard, especially so for the actual programmers
who have blind spots in that it seems so easy for them, and cannot see
where others have difficulties.  FreeBSD is a volunteer project, and
does not command the resources of Microsoft.

As well as the online docs, I would also buy the "Complete FreeBSD."
While there does seem to a a daunting amount of these docs, you do
not need to read them cover to cover.  Also, you might want to get
the FreeBSD CDROM set - it is easier to install from that, I think,
than from the internet.

It may take you a month or so to figure out what you need.  The time
spent will be well worth it.  Then maybe you could write a how-to
document that you wished you had, and help future generations of
FreeBSD users.

Another possibilty - how about Linux.  I hear that both Caldera 2.2 and
the RedHat distributions are easy to install.

Jeff Baker wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>         Pardon me for jumping into your emails.....The basic concept of your
> trail was spot on.
>
> Where I started:
>        -  I have very little knowledge of unix.
>        - I wanted to set up a net server.
>         - I was concerned about using NT (which I use on my desktop)
>         - I had some old 486 pc's which where gathering dust.
>         - Just how hard could it be to setup??
>
> What I did:
>         - Idownloaded several directories from freebsb 2 days ago
>         - I downloaded lots of html & other docs inc the handbook.
>         - I started reading....
>         - I screwed up the install / config a couple of times
>                 (ie didn't read fast enough and / or assumed defaults would
> work)
>
> Where I'm at
>         - stuffed if I know..
>         - I can boot either DOS or FreeBSD on the machine.
>         - I have set up a couple of user names
>         - I went thru a couple of docs which helped me decide on some IP
> settings etc.
>         - still not sure how to check if my ethernet card is being
> recognised...did I get the IRQ correct etc etc?
>         - I'm now looking for more docs on how to set up the web server.
>
>  My Questions:
>         - How do I know what to do next
>         - Do I really have to read 100's pages of jibberish to try & figure
> out what to do?
>         - is there a short version of a setup guide (with refs to more info
> if required)
>         - do I really have to understand all these terms / acronyms  etc to
> set up a web server.....
>         - While MS bloatware has bugs, requires heaps of resources, prob not
> secure etc etc.....at least it is
>            easy to install and get setup, even if a user doesn't know what
> they are doing (and there are lots of
>          'how to' docs avail.if required.) FreeBSD can be the next OS from
> what I have seen, if only us meere mortals could         install & set it
> up.....
>
>         Did I forget to download a 'magic' doc?  Please tell me I did
>
>         I'll get back to my downloading / reading and keep telling myself
> its not that hard, its not that hard, its not that hard, its not that hard.....
>
> Commentrs appreciated, advise very welcomed
> Regards
> Jeff

>                              Australian CAD HOTLINE
>                               HELP when YOU need it.
>
>             1902 983 170 for  ACAD R12/R13/R14, Mech DeskTop
>             1902 963 600 for  ACAD LT1/2/95/97, ASketch & Others
>
>                          http://www.ACADHOTLINE.net.au

Stephen Montgomery-Smith              stephen@math.missouri.edu
307 Math Science Building             stephen@showme.missouri.edu
Department of Mathematics             stephen@missouri.edu