Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:06:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: [RC1] Login not possible

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Klaus-J. Wolf wrote:

> Excuse me, but the limit of a maximum of 16 group memberships per user
> has not been known to me. It would be a good idea to document it
> somewhere.
>
> I know a number of persons who will run into problems because their idea
> of proper system architecture requires certain persons to be a member of
> a higher amount of user groups. Until now, it might not have worked, but
> the day it finally crashes and nobody can log in anymore, will not make
> them happy.
>
> There should be an option, somehow.

All UNIX systems I know of have relatively low upper bounds on the number
of groups permitted per process.  This is generally well-documented in
programmer documentation, but sometimes less well documented in user
documentation.  You can test the value on POSIX-esque systems using
getconf(1):

  paprika:~> getconf NGROUPS_MAX
  16

You can also test it programatically using sysconf(3).  I believe POSIX
mandates a minimum of 16 groups, and also fairly common.  Here are some
values extraced by various people for me:

Operating System	NGROUPS_MAX
FreeBSD 4.9		16
FreeBSD 5.2		16
Linux 2.4.2		32
IRIX64 6.5		16
SunOS 5.7		16
SunOS 5.8		16
OSF1 V4.0		32
OSF1 V5.1		32
HP-UX B.11.22		20
HP-UX B.11.23		20
AIX 4.3			32
AIX 5.x			64

It could we be we should think about bumping _SC_NGROUPS_MAX to 32,
although this might have substantial ABI impacts we'd have to look into
carefully.  You can also add optional groups, joined using newgrp(1), but
the lack of a shadow password database for that is fairly limiting (and
it's far from user friendly compared to just being a member of more
groups).

robert@fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research