Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:14:18 +1100
From:      John Marshall <john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   6.4-RC1 Boot Fails if NFS Hostname cannot be resolved (mount_nfs)

--lMM8JwqTlfDpEaS6

I was running 6.3-RELEASE-p2 on my ThinkPad  notebook until 3-Oct-2008
when I csup'd and built RELENG_6_4 (6.4-RC1). All went well for weeks
until I took the notebook off-site to a place with no network and saw it
fail to boot. This morning I updated to the latest RELENG_6_4 and the
problem persists.

In /etc/fstab I have...
mynfssrv:/kits  /kits  nfs  late,rw,-T,-b

Booting with no network available, I see:
---
Mounting late file systems: mynfssrv: hostname nor servname provided, or no=
t known
Mounting /etc/fstab filesystem failed, startup aborted
ERROR: ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)!
Oct 22 11:46:56 rwpc08 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, goin=
g to single user mode
Oct 22 11:46:56 rwpc08 init: can't get /dev/console for controlling termina=
l: Operation not permitted
(only recourse at this stage is to hit the power button and boot single use=
r)
---

If I comment out the nfs mount entry in /etc/fstab the system boots
fine.

If I replace the NFS server hostname with an IP address, I see the
familiar behaviour of the NFS mount giving up and backgrounding - and
the boot proceeding happily...
192.0.2.1:/kits  /kits  nfs  late,rw,-T,-b

---
Mounting late file systems:[tcp] 192.0.2.1:/kits: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Port ma=
pper failure - RPC: unable to
mount_nfs: Cannot immediately mount 192.0.2.1:/kits, backgrounding
---

I think the hostname stuff in mount_nfs has changed without taking this
scenario into consideration?

--=20
John Marshall

--lMM8JwqTlfDpEaS6