Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:59:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Hamilton Hoover <hamilton@twopoint.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dual homed gateway system running ipfw and nat. need rules help.

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Hamilton Hoover wrote:

> Hi all,

	Hello.

> I am running a dual homed system (2 nics) acting as a gateway/firewall
> for our office T1. The private net uses 192.x.x.x and the public uses a
> 'real' address of 209.x.x.x. The firewall is up and seems to be working
> well. I used rc.firewall "simple" and have customized it to our needs.
> All outgoing requests appear to to originating from the public
> interface. I want to be able to do two things that I have not been able
> to figure out yet.
>
> 1) We keep out pop server on the private net. I need to be able to get
> the incoming mail passed to the mail server that has a 192.x.x.x
> address. I was thinking something like:

	Incoming from the outside or inside?

> ${fwcmd} pass tcp from any 25 to 192.x.x.x

	The POP server runs on port 110 not 25, that's SMTP.

> Is this solid or am I opening myself up from more problems. I don't want
> to relay from outside as mail is only checked from inside the private
> side.

	If you don't want mail from the outside world or users to send
	mail to the outside world, then this should work.  Is the BSD
	machine acting as a mail server?

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.