Date:      07 Dec 2001 13:08:39 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Yiping Chen <YipingChen@via.com.tw>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question about Freebsd driver

Yiping Chen <YipingChen@via.com.tw> writes:

> I have a question about Freebsd driver.
> If we want to support some options in driver(like speed and duplex mode
> setting) ,
>  user can use this option to change driver configurations.
> I am not sure whether freebsd driver support driver parameter.
> Can you give me some suggestions? Thanks!!

I'm just a FreeBSD user, but I think it's safe to say that you should
try to contact the authors of the driver, unless that's you, of course.
They'd probably be glad to assist you.

I think driver paramters are passed to the driver source code (during
the kernel or kernel module build) from their source in the KERNCONF
file used to build the kernel (see Handbook).  See examples in the
"device" and "options" lines in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT file.

I'm not sure how parameters are passed to drivers that are not compiled
into the kernel, but are loaded at run time.  I suspect that modules
which are loaded at boot time get some info via /boot/defaults/loader.conf
but I don't know.

I suppose that the kernel's "sysctl" (has a man page) mechanism can be
used to pass info to drivers, but I don't know how it's done.

You're likely to get better info on the freebsd-stable, freebsd-current,
freebsd-hackers, or probably a few other mailing lists that cater to
software develepers more than users like freebsd-questions does.

It's good to see VIA's interest in FreeBSD.  Thanks.