Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 22:20:45 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount -o async on a news servre

As Michael Smith wrote:

> lovely /kernel: sd6(ncr0:6:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
> lovely /kernel: sd6 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
> lovely /kernel: 1021MB (2091050 512 byte sectors)
>
> And the error is "I refuse to give you mode page 4", which is the
> "rigid disk geometry page", ie. the page where most disk lie outrageously
> about their supposed c/h/s geometry.

That is, the ``invalid field'' is the page number?

You could easily verify this by

	scsi -v -f /dev/rsd1.ctl -m 4

If this also fails with an Invalid field in CDB, that's the culprit.

Btw., that's the information my sd0 presents (zero fields omitted):

Number of Cylinders:  4177
Number of Heads:  8
Medium Rotation Rate:  5410

This even sounds reasonable.