Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/30873: ``ip'' man page does not specify byte order for ip header with raw sockets

The following reply was made to PR docs/30873; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: Douglas De Couto <decouto@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:39:12 +0300

 On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 08:28:55AM -0700, Douglas De Couto wrote:

 > There is no easy way to use the man pages figure out how to use raw sockets.
 > On my system ``apropos raw'' doesn't point me to the ``ip'' man page,
 > which describes raw sockets.  Furthermor, the ``ip'' man page doesn't
 > specify the byte order for the up header fields when the user is supplying
 > the ip header.

 Hmm, the ip.4 manpage, in the ``Raw IP Sockets'' has this info
 in the form of an example.  The only missing item is that the
 ``ip_id'' field (if supplied) should be in network byte order,
 historically.

 Cheers,
 --
 Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,