Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:09:25 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray.stokely@windriver.com>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Markup for ports

  I support this in general, but more thought needs to be placed on
how this will look without the benefit of a hyperlink.  Another
example of dependence on hyperlinks is the use of <xrefs> being
printed out as file:/// in the printed version of the Handbook which
doesn't look very good.  It seems that many sentences are constructed
in the handbook such that they depend on the hyperlink for proper
context.  I don't want anything to encourage that practice.

  "Other interfaces, like databases/tkgnats should also work nicely."

  This is pretty informal.  Will the markup given to your new <port>
tag be sufficient to clue in new users that we are talking about a
FreeBSD port?  Or is more verbiage necessary, such as :

  "Other interfaces, like the port databases/tkgnats should also work
nicely."

  I'm not quite sure, I just don't like the over dependence on
hyperlinks that is infecting the Handbook. ;)

	- Murray