Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:16:59 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        Santosh Balakrishnan <santoshb@pacbell.net>
Cc:        Bill Huey <billh@burn.ucsd.edu>, java@yogotech.com, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hotspot port to BSD

Santosh Balakrishnan writes:
 > > Yeah, I'm working on this now and trying to get it compiled. I can't
 > sendmail
 > > to the list (spam protection and bogus sendmail configuration that I don't
 > > control) which is why I'm replying in the fashion that I'm using now.
 > >
 > > I've gotten it to partially compile and get to the part where it tries and
 > > includes a large "friend" macro.
 > >
 > > What's up ?
 > I am at the partial compile stage too and had hit a stage with GCC
 > complaining that a class is friends with itself. I am past that stage, am
 > currently mulling what to do with the os directory.  Right now i have copied
 > everything over from linux, at this stage i am still trying to understand
 > the code.

I think it is a mistake to base things on the linux port.  In all of my
experience with various linux ports, they have introduced more problems
into the porting process than they have solved.  I believe that the
Solaris port is cleaner and closer to standard than any linux port ever
will be.

Of course, that is just my opinion.  I am proceeding based on the
Solaris port.  I had to fix one obvious problem in the make files
(buildATree.make used the wrong quoting convention) and am currently
working on the os/bsd/vm directory.  Anyone who knows anything about
shell scripting would have found the error in buildATree.make and fixed
it instead of inventing a whole new way to do it as the linux folk felt
compelled to do.  Just one example of gratuitous changes that linux
porting induces.

OK, enough ranting.  Back to work.

/Joe