Date:      07 May 2003 22:40:05 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GDM2 no longer works with -current

--=-BNce31iE4AjJmUOIXXIu

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 22:05, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 05:07:54PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>=20

e.johnson.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GFORCE

> > > Unfortunatelly, I can only confirm that it failes for me as well :(
> > >
> > > FreeBSD timur.home.bat.ru 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #1: Mon May=
  5 19:49:0
> > > 5 CEST 2003     root@timur.home.bat.ru:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/SMP =
 i386

> > > PORTNAME=3D       gdm2
> > > PORTVERSION=3D    2.4.1.4
> > >
> > > With the previous version(2.4.1.3, I belive), I got gdm login
> > > prompt, but wasn't able to enter any character... But I suspect,
> > > that was caused by default 'Standart' section with the X server call
> > > like:
> > >
> > >  /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt9
> > >
> > > when I have 10 virtual consoles. I'll check this as soon as I'll
> > > revert to the previous version.
> > >
> > > For the current version I have exactly the same probles, as Glenn
> > > described :(
> >
> > I just installed gdm-2.4.1.4 on my -CURRENT machine, and
> > it works fine.  I had to merge in some of the new gdm.conf
> > settings, but so far, I haven't seen any lockups or crashes.
> > If you're experiencing problems, make sure you're starting
> > gdm from /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh, and try copying
> > /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/factory-gdm.conf to /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/gdm.conf.
>=20
> I always start it from /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh and I already had
> merged in changes from factory-gdm.conf.  I went ahead and copied it too
> just to be sure.  Still no joy.
>=20
> Joe, is you -CURRENT a clean install?  Mine has been through hell the
> last week or so because of the ffs:free bug and I am wondering if my
> system has gremlins lying around.

Mine has been -CURRENT for over a year now.  It's been through hell, a
bad loader, _and_ blkfree.  I've run so many single user fsck's I've
lost count.  I've also had some bad FS corruption which made me zarch my
marcus account, and let things get recreated.  It couldn't hurt to do a
portupgrade -Rf gdm2 to see if that helps.

Joe

>=20
> >=20
> > Joe