Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 1997 09:42:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lockup on install

I posted this question several days ago.  I never saw it appear, so here
it is again.  I apologize if this is a repeat for you.

We have several workstations currently running OS/2 and WinNT that I'd
like to install FreeBSD onto.

I boot the cdrom and do a visual config, then continue.  I get the
message like "waiting for scsi devices to settle" and then the system
gives a message "unexpected busfree" and "LASTPHASE = ".  Then it
completely locks up.

We run fbsd on all of our webservers, so we're not unfamiliar with
installation.  The only hardware difference is that these workstations are
running 180MHz Pentium Pro CPUs on SuperMicro motherboards, with an
embedded Adaptec AHA2940UW, whereas our servers are 166+ Cyrix CPUs on
SuperMicro MBs with the 2940UW on a separate card.  As I noted before, we
are successfully running OS/2, WinNT on these machines, as well as
DOS/Win3.1.

The plan was to completely replace our entire company's plethora of OSs
with FreeBSD.

Any ideas?

Cliff