Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:27:50 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ip addr changes on 5.3 but not on 4.8

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 04:16:40PM -0500, Marty Landman wrote:

[...]
> Here's the problem, hope the preceding is a good background to it. Find
> that the IP address for the 5.3 box gets changed on a fairly regular basis
> by (I guess) my xp gateway so that I then have to change the gateway hosts
> file, the 5.3 hosts file and 5.3 rc.conf file.
>
> The 4.8 box's IP addr has been stable.
>
> Any idea where I start to fix this? Would like the 5.3 box's IP addr to
> remain stable as well.

This has nothing to do with the FreeBSD boxes, but rather a
configuration issue with your DHCP server. The DHCP server can be
configured so that it will always give the same IP for a particular
NIC. Talk to your admin about it.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
          "You can get farther with a kind word and a gun