Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 15:22:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "D.Lewis" <Deano@isotoxin.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The handbook

On Wed, 21 May 1997, D.Lewis wrote:

> Sorry if ive missed it somewhere but is there an Ascii version of the
> handbook anywhere?? I wasnt to print it out under windows (I know its
> terrible but until ive become a Unixoid!), Latin1 is really no use to
> me either as I have no converters or WP that will load it.
> HTML version also dodgy on the Walnut creek CD well the Index wont load
> the relevant parts anyhow.
> Thanks for your time.

There is no plain text version of the handbook on http://www.freebsd.org,
at least not one that I can find, but there is a plain text version
on the cd (and probably installed on your hard drive) in
/usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.ascii.

One way to get a plain text ("ascii") version of the handbook from
www.freebsd.org is to download the *.ps version, run ps2ascii on it,
and then use fmt on the result.  You can give fmt some options to
change the target and maximum line lengths it uses.

Annelise