Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 1995 23:28:47 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "HAU,CHUNG FAI,MR" <BQ5S@MUSICB.MCGILL.CA>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Availability of SoftWare?

>   First is about drivers. I got a cdu33a Sony CDROM, which has the
> for it under Linux. Is it possible to use the CDROM drive under BSD.

Not yet, though we're working on it (Andreas?  What IS the status
of these drivers you added?).

>   Second, I got the Jan 1995(4?) FreeBSD 2.0 CDROM from Walnut Creek
> The base system installs fine after copying them to my DOS partition.
> But the packages on the CDROM do not seems to work well... At least
> ome of them are not functional... And the amount of software on it

The packages on the 2.0 CD were not very well tested.  We WILL fix
this for the 2.1 CD - you can count on it.

> can't compare to Linux ones... which the most recent I got is from
> InfoMagic which has 3 CD roms filling with a lot more software than
> the FreeBSD 2.0 one. As a Economics major... I can't say I am experienc-
> ed in compiling software, that is why I reinstalled Linux =( which I

Well, we're nowhere near as well served as Linux when it comes to
pre-ported software, but we currently have over 200 ports available
now (it has grown considerably since 2.0 was released) and we're
getting more every week.  We're not Linux, but we do our best (and
this is getting better).

					Jordan