Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:16:57 +0200
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Please review: new handbook chapter on serial install

Hi,
On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 02:19:35PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-10-15 21:58, Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de> wrote:
> > +	modified boot floppy.  The easiest solution (and the only one
> > +	described in this chapter) is to create a modified boot floppy
> > +	because this can be done with the on-board tools of a standard
> > +	installation. [...]
>
> I'd probably prefer "system tools" instead of "on-board tools".

the precise variant would be 'with the tools that are available on a
standard system' or even 'with the tools that are available on a &os;
system after a standard installation'.

> > +      <para>After a while, you should see activity on your serial
> > +	console, probably the <quote>sppiner</quote>, followed by the
> > +	usual start messages from the kernel.
>
> `spinner' perhaps?  What is this supposed to mean?  Are you referring
> to the spinning character that is visible right before the kernel boots?

Exactly - is there another, 'official' name for the thing?

> > +	&gt;  /boot.config</command>, exit the shell, quit
>
> I usually prefer seeing commands in <screen> elements, that stand out
> a lot better than <command> in running text.  The <command> tags are
> more fit imho for marking up command names that have to be seen as
> part of a sentence instead of literal terminal output.  My suggestion
> for this part would something like:

Followed by another line with the exit and some rewording to avoid having
a sentence interrupted by a screen element.  Those are hell for any
translator...

/s/Udo
--
   If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
                ...Oh, wait a minute, he already does.