Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 06:43:14 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Karl Agee <kdagee2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems getting updates (still)

From: Karl Agee <kdagee2@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 08:35:58PM -0700

> Hi Giorgos, thanks for replying, here goes:

Your supfile seems ok.
The problem lies somewhere else.

> > > I get the following output:
> > >
> > > Cannot get IP address of my own host -- is its
> > > hostname correct?
> >
> > This probably means that your /etc/hosts file does
> > not contain IP
> > addresses for one or more of the IP's your network
> > interfaces have.
> > What is your network setup ?
>
> single workstation; dialup account.  nothing fancy.
>
> here is /etc/hosts:
>
> bash-2.03$ cat /etc/hosts
> # $FreeBSD: src/etc/hosts,v 1.11 2000/02/15 14:59:16 shin Exp $
> #
> # Host Database
> # This file should contain the addresses and aliases
> # for local hosts that share this file.
> # In the presence of the domain name service or NIS, this file may
> # not be consulted at all; see /etc/host.conf for the resolution order.
> #
> #
> 127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.my.domain myname.my.domain
> ::1                     localhost localhost.my.domain myname.my.domain

You should probably edit this one and put something more meaningful in
my.domain and myname.mydomain.  But this seems ok for the moment...

> > > anything else I can do??
> >
> > Provide us with more information.  Describing exactly what you did,
> > and including all the relevant information.  Any files that are
> > involved, information on the setup of your machine, including but not
> > limited to: network interfaces, how they are brought
> > up, their addresses, etc.
>
> like I said real simple.  Using kppp to establish
> connection.  launched the above cvsup supfile from a
> root window.

Not very helpful in guessing what could be wrong.
I'd be interested to the output of the following commands while you
are connected:

	# ifconfig -au

	# netstat -nr

It looks like you have some networking problem, and not a problem with
CVSup itself.  The contents of the files /etc/host.conf (or, if you're
using NIS, this would be /etc/nsswitch.conf) and /etc/resolv.conf are
also things I'd like to see.

-giorgos