Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:46:43 -0400
From:      "Miroslav Pendev" <shadow@CPE0004761ac738-CM00109515bc65.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com>
To:        "Shawn L Kennedy" <shawnlkennedy@lucent.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DHCP/DNS question

> >> Hi Miro,
> >>
> >> A good shot, but it didn't seem to do anything usefull.
> >Hi Shawn,
> >
> >Thanks ;-) but not very helpfull..
>
> It was worthy try!!
>
> >> dhclient.leases did not change (no host-name in the file).
> >
> >This means that the problem, probably, is not that your
> >DHCP client is not sending your host name as you DNS guy said.
> >I saw that you have two DNS servers: domain-name-servers and
> >netbios-name-servers...
> >Can you try to ping your host 'name' but from host that have only the
> >domain-name-servers not both of them. You can enter them manually.
>
> when I issue the nslookup, the only machine that answers back is the
> DNS machine. no other machine gives an answer to the nslookup.
> A ping gives me back a "unresolved host name" error from the
> Solaris box. A Windows box, the ping also fails on the
> machine lookup. The FreeBSD box also comes back with a
> "unresolved host name" error.
>
> The only machines I have access to to perform the ping is my
> FreeBSd box, a Win2K box and a Solaris Enterise box running
> Solaris 2.8.  Do you have any guidance?
>
> >Is your network M$ Active Directory Services enabled?
>
> Yup, but the DNS and DHCP boxes are Solaris Enterprise boxes
> running (I think) Solaris 2.8. They did take a recent update to
> Bind (version 8). Company also has WINS boxes that I think they use
> for the M$ crap. Network is a hetrogenous comglomeration of Sun Workstations
> (they have fixed IPs), Wintel boxes running M$2K and Linux boxes.  As
> far as I know, I think I'm the only FreeBSD guy here. :-(
>
> >> The DNS lookup still shows an invalid name.
> >>From which DNS server (the server IP) from netbios-ones or others?
>
> DSN machine(s) - DHCP machine listed first, then DNS machine
> liste second in dhclient.leases in the domain-name-servers line.
> The netbios-name-servers are the WINS machines.
>
> >If everithing with the 'standart' DNS-DHCP server is OK you must be able
> >to ping your host name from non Windows host. (You said something about
> >Linux host - what DNS servers it is using.
>
> They use the same cloud/DHCP/DNS machines.
>
> >If you cannot ping your host name from M$ Windows hosts, you may need
> >to add static entry as Adam said into M$ DNS Server pointing
> >to your IP static adress. As far as I know M$ DNS servers are not
> >exectly 'UNIX' compatible because of ADS 'extensions' or whatever they say.
>
> This would be a bummer - the DNS guy said it should work.  He's a linux
> guy and I keep trying to show folks that FreeBSD is "better" :-).  This
> is not stating my case very well... :-(

Well, you are somehow right :-), but one DHCP<->DNS client problem
have nothing to do with the 'quallity' of OS. There is no 'ideal' OS.
Nothing's perfect! :-)

/* -OT-
At my work place, my boss was linux 'fan' when I started as IT admin.
I setup corporate Firewall based on FreeBSD 4.3 - IPFW+NAT and
database server on FreeBSD 4.3 with MySQL, Apache and Samba...
for the last year we have in practice '0' (ZERO) downtime
- 99.99% Level of Service. Not bad, ah! I wish to see Linux box
making less then 2 minutes downtime for one year!
Because of this I just changed M$ Windows NT 4.0 Server based on
DELL PowerEdge 2400 with FreeBSD 4.6 - samba as FileServer!
My boss asked me to do so... ;-)))
*/

It may be just a bug into build in FreeBSD 4.6 DHCP client.
Altough, I am not sure.
Why don't you try to install ISC DHCP from the ports
it is under ports/net/isc-dhcp3. There is DHCP server
(we use this as DHCP server at my work - works as a charm)
and DHCP client, too. Try with that one!

> I might try firing up an analyer to watch the packets and see what
> the DHCP client is really sending. I have a very nice Agilent Internet
> Advisor sitting next to me that should do the trick. I'm at home now,
> so it would have to wait until morning.

You can use ports/net/dhcping for debug too.

> Also, I have a 4.5 box that I had decommissioned (I traded up in
> boxes!!) and will plug that in and see if that one still works.  If
> so, I have to figure out why next.....

Yes, try with 4.5, in this way we should know if the problem is into 4.6!

> Thanks for all your help,

No problem! It was pleasure to 'try' to help you ;-)

--Miro