Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:46:43 +1000
From:      jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how do you turn on / install drivers? (Xircom PC-Card Ethernet)

>/book/kernel.conf is read by the kernel/loader and turns on/off
>devices in the kernel that are >>compiled in<<, you can't
>'en' (enable) a device that isn't compiled in, although it may
>be possible to load the kld if one exists.

Right.

>If you kernel doesn't have the device compiled in you'll need to
>recompile or load a kld.

Ok, yep.

>To see if the device is compiled in but possibly disabled have a
>look in /var/run/dmesg.boot, it should show you what the kernel
>trys to do with device drivers at bootup.

Okay. I'm pretty sure that the XE driver ain't anywhere on my system.
There's no mention of it in the output of dmesg, and the c files
aren't where the XE installer says they should go etc.

Also what worries me, is the Readme for XE says that FreeBSD doesn't
support CardBus, and my dmesg says:

probing pci bus... (etc)
chip3: <PCI to CardBus bridge (vendor=104c device=ac15)> rev 0x01 int
a irq 9 on pci0.19.0
chip4: <PCI to CardBus bridge (vendor=104c device=ac15)> rev 0x01 int
b irq 9 on pci0.19.1

I don't know much about pc-card and CardBus technologies... maybe I
should repost this to freebsd-hardware?

cheers

jesse

--