Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 14:41:15 +0300
From:      arb-freebsd@iconnect.co.ke
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   help with ppp

Hello. I am a new user to FreeBSD. I set it up on a 486 box recently for
one of our customers who wanted a permanent connection to our network via
a permanent analog line. The setup works very well, but I have 2 small
problems:

1. Although the modems we use can work at speeds of 28.8 K, I can't get
the FreeBSD ppp to work at more than 9600 bps. If I try to set the speed
to anything higher, and use the 'terminal' mode of ppp all I get is
garbage from the terminal server instead of its login prompt. Is there any
setting I need for higher speeds, or maybe compression? The terminal
server can support upto 115200, so that's what we'd like to use for
maximum throughput. The I/O card has a 16550A UART chip, so it can handle
115200 bps. I normally start up ppp on the box as follows:

ppp -ddial -alias direct-client

There is no dialling required on this line, as it is a permanent
connection; it's somewhat like having a null-modem cable between the
FreeBSD box and our terminal server, which is a Livingston portmaster 2E.
Any help would be highly appreciated.

2. I read the man page for ppp to learn how to use port aliasing.
Specifically, I wanted to redirect connection coming to the FreeBSD box on
port 25 to be redirected to an NT server on the same network, since the NT
box is the mail server. However, the following command failed:

alias port tcp 192.168.0.2:25 208.208.120.201:25
               ^^^^^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
               NT box         FreeBSD box

Currently, I'm running a mail server on the FreeBSD box which simply
collects incoming mail and the forwards it to the NT box. This isn't the
best scheme, as it is slower and wastes time and resources. What am I
doing wrong here?

--
Anand

	A priest was walking along the cliffs at Dover when he came
upon two locals pulling another man ashore on the end of a rope.
"That's what I like to see", said the priest, "A man helping his fellow
man".
	As he was walking away, one local remarked to the other, "Well,
he sure doesn't know the first thing about shark fishing."