Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 12:55:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   more general checksum command, replacing md5?

Just curious, with the inclusion of SHS hashing in crypt(), would anybody
consider a generalized checksum command?  It wouldn't be too hard to make
a general 'cs' or 'checksum' command that accepts arguments to determine
the algorithm being used... ala:

    cs -md5
    cs -shs

Etc...

With multiple algorithms, I'd also suggest having the checksum command be
capable of doing the comparison, so it could know what to do based off the
existing checksum it is being compared to, ala:

    cs -check 'MD5 (foof) = 092eb830a343bf1fad2e522834cf346e' < foof
    cs -checkf foof.md5 < foof

Would exit ''true'' or ''false'' depending upon if the check was good.

Just curious, I suppose the other alternative would be to make an 'shs'
command similar to 'md5'.. but that seems unclean..

-Brandon