Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 1996 09:50:11 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        RChetty@gnn.com (Raj Chetty)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install FreeBSD

As Raj Chetty wrote:

> 1. If 48meg is not enough, will 70 meg do for a decent installation
>    to use X11,C++ compiler. I will not be using any networking
>    software or internet access. That has to wait until I get a
>    second disk drive. Also I will be the only user(a Newbie to
>    unix).

70 meg is still tight, but possible.  However, you have to hand-tweak
it, by:

. Installing the base system only -- this should fit
. Remove all parts you don't need, this will be an immense amount
  of work.  I have no idea how much you might gain by killing all
  network-related stuff.  It is part of the base distribution (hey,
  you don't have to buy it as an additional package -- so that's
  the price, you always get it).
. Manually install the base parts of X11.

I've been using a 120 MB disk once in my notebook, and a hand-fiddled
installation contained:

. the base system
. the `development' system, including all header files and shared libs
  (static libs removed manually)
. the `catted' man pages, including the development system
. a useable X11 subsystem, again including header files, shared libs,
  and cat man pages
. emacs :), though only .elc files where both .el and .elc were
  available
. kernel source, including one set of object files
. 12 MB of swap
. 5 MB of free space

> 2. Does FreeBSD support any parallel port (printer port) tape drive
like Hp-Colorado 1000e?

No.
--
cheers, J"org