Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:38:40 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swap strategy

On Friday 16 March 2001 10:30, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> There are discussions going on linuxish kernel maillists with regard to
> their new 2.4-kernel swap memory usage, which actually seems kinda, uhm,
> at least strange to me...  Anyway, I don't really care, since I use much
> better OS, FreeBSD :-) and I have a question with regards to FreBSD swap
> strategy.
>
> Say if I have Cel-600 with 128M RAM (rather average these days), and use
> my box primarily for web programming and design, thus I very likely be
> having to run XFree86-4, pretty heavy mozilla + netscape (I know netscape
> sux, but I need to make sure my sites look the same in both browsers) +
> gimp), and I use windowmaker (it rocks!) as my window manager.  I also
> might have to run apache on that box.
>
> So, considering all the above, how much of a swap space do I need?
>

> 	-= Alexey Dokuchaev aka DAN Fe =-

 You should have at least as much as your physical ram. But if you plan to do
heavy graphics or audio, I would also invest in more ram.

Beech
     Beech Rintoul - Network Manager - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510