Date:      Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:54:34 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Fabrice <FabriceMarchant@free.fr>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Loading module for sound chip SiS 7102

Fabrice wrote:

>On Saturday 05 February 2005 00:56, you wrote:
>

>>Nikolas Britton wrote:

>>>Sorry I should have given a bit more info at the start of my reply.
>>>Putting those lines in loader.conf will load the sound subsystem
>>>(pcm), I don't think it's needed as I think "snd_driver_load" will
>>>load it but I'm not sure so... and you'll need it afterwords,  all of
>>>the sound drivers, and setup up to 4 virtual audio channels as needed,
>>>automatically. The part about dmesg etc. should be done last, look in
>>>/boot/defaults/loader.conf (starting at line 255) to find the drivers
>>>you want to load, remove snd_driver_load from /boot/loader.conf and
>>>add the drivers that your card is using there. I think your problem is
>>>that you just didn't have any virtual channels setup, KDE would then
>>>hog the sound system and then you wouldn't hear anything else, but
>>>thats just an educated guess, donno I use cplay even when i'm in X.
>>>and only one of the list servers was blacklisted (the main one), your
>>>email was one of the few I got today.
>>>

>>Also, here is the FreeBSD handbook in french:
>>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/fr_FR.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
>>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/fr_FR.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/multimedia.html
>>
>>googles translation service sucks, this is what I get when I converted
>>it to french and then back into english:
>>Moreover, here the handbook of French FreeBSD
>>
>>:-)
>>

>Thank you very much for your prompt detailed and accurate answer !
>Sorry for the poor english language... (It's much easer for me  to unterstand
>what other people write.)
>
>Unfortunately, when I touched my up to now virgin "/boot/loader.conf" to put
>lines like these :
>sound_load="YES"
>or
>snd_driver_load="YES"
>
>(except hw.snd.maxautovchans=4, I took the lines from
>/boot/defaults/loader.conf, as is)

I don't understand what you meant by this?

>according to that you suggest and that can be read in the handbook in
>"installing sound" section,
>
>the system complains :

>Warning: syntax error
>snd_ich="YES"
>                        ^
>(Showing the error with "^" like some compilers or interpreters do)

That should be snd_ich_load="YES"

>However it is possible to work manually :
>kldload snd_ich
>->
>pcm0: <SiS 7012> port 0xd800-0xd83f, 0xdc00-0xdcff irq 11 at device 2.7 on
>pci 0
>pcm0: [GIANT_LOCKED]
>pcm0:<C-Media Electronics CMI9738 AC97 Codec >
>
>and setup the number of virtual channels to 4 as you suggest but using the
>control :
>sysctl hw.snd.maxautovchans=4
>->
>hw.snd.maxautovchans: 0 -> 4
>
>After these things here is the "/dev/sndstat"  :
>
>FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
>Installed devices:
>pcm0: <SiS 7012> at io 0xdc00, 0xd800 irq 11 bufsz 16384 kld snd_ich
>(1p/1r/1v channels duplex default)
>
>"dmesg" gives same infos.
>
>After this a sound is emitted when KDE launches but after about 1 second, the
>sound system seems to hang.
>
>Here are the info that I can collect on my debian Linux system that runs in
>the same computer, driving the SiS 7102 correctly :
>
>D800-D8FF SiS7102 PCI Audio Accelerator
>DC00-DCFF SiS7102 PCI Audio Accelerator
>XT-PIC SiS7102 on interrupt 11
>PCI 00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller SiS7102 PCI Audio Accelerator (rev a0)
>Subsystem: C-media Electronics Inc : unknown device 0300
>Flags : bus master, medium devsel. latency 64, IRQ 11
>I/O ports at DC00 [size=256]
>I/O ports at D800 [size=64]
>Capabilities [48] Power Management version 2
>
>FreeBSD 5.3 and debian Woody say very similar things about the SiS 7102
>chipset...
>
>Otherwise...
>I checked the BIOS setup : PnP_OS=no, all right for this.
>(But I do not know how I could change SiS7102 interrupt)

Thats ok, it's just one of those things that nice to play with when
hardware isn't working correctly.

>I installed splay and cplay and edited a ".cplayrc" file with a
>FrameOffsetPlayer "splay")
>But no sound even in pure console mode, outside X.

You edited .cplayrc? what do you mean by this? you should not have to
edit the .cplayrc file, plus it's not required that you even have one. I
recommend you just delete the .cplayrc and and try playing music again
without it.

>Thank you again for your interesting explanations.
>
>Regards.
>
>Fabrice.

I'm going to cc this to the freebsd questions list, maybe they can help
you more then I could.

Regards...