Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:16:28 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        shih@math.jussieu.fr
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfs woes in FreeBSD 6.0

At 06:56 PM 27/02/2006, Albert Shih wrote:
>Is there any documentation to explain a newbie like me all (I mean really
>all of them) sysctl variable ?
>
>For example what
>
>         net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable=0

Some have descriptions, some are talked about in man pages.  eg.
% sysctl -d net.inet.tcp.inflight
net.inet.tcp.inflight: TCP inflight data limiting
net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable: Enable automatic TCP inflight data limiting
net.inet.tcp.inflight.debug: Debug TCP inflight calculations
net.inet.tcp.inflight.min: Lower-bound for TCP inflight window
net.inet.tcp.inflight.max: Upper-bound for TCP inflight window
net.inet.tcp.inflight.stab: Inflight Algorithm Stabilization 20 = 2 packets

and man tcp

      inflight.enable    Enable TCP bandwidth-delay product limiting.  An
                         attempt will be made to calculate the bandwidth-delay
                         product for each individual TCP connection, and limit
                         the amount of inflight data being transmitted, to
                         avoid building up unnecessary packets in the network.
                         This option is recommended if you are serving a lot of
                         data over connections with high bandwidth-delay prod-
                         ucts, such as modems, GigE links, and fast long-haul
                         WANs, and/or you have configured your machine to
                         accommodate large TCP windows.  In such situations,
                         without this option, you may experience high interac-
                         tive latencies or packet loss due to the overloading
                         of intermediate routers and switches.  Note that band-
                         width-delay product limiting only effects the transmit
                         side of a TCP connection.

And of course, www.google.com is an excellent start as well.

         ---Mike