Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 1996 11:12:51 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Douglas Thomas Crosher  <dtc@scrooge.ee.swin.oz.au>
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: awk broken ???

Douglas Thomas Crosher writes:
> > After updating to the lastest I see awk failing on make depend in
> > sys/compile/XXXX:

What compile flags are you using?  Did you re-enable '-O2' w/out
'-fno-strength-reduce'?  It may be possible that the optimizer bug was
not fixed like intended, so we are seeing compiler bugs yet again.

> > sh ../../kern/vnode_if.sh ../../kern/vnode_if.src
> > awk: cmd. line:4: (FILENAME=- FNR=318) fatal error: internal error
> > abort - core dumped
> >
> > Also my freshly built gcc-2.7.2 coredumps wih sig 11...

Did you build it with itself or with the stock compiler?

> I restored things by backing up to my backup set of libs of about Jan
> 4, this fixed emacs. I had to recompile awk to fix it.

This sounds like a compiler bug, but I'm not positive of this.

Nate