Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:47:00 -0700
From:      Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
To:        "Jin Guojun [VFFS]" <jin@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        "Jim Guojun \[VFFS\]" <j_guojun@lbl.gov>, x11@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X -configure fails on 6.3-Release

Jin Guojun [VFFS] wrote:
> Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>
>> Jim Guojun [VFFS] wrote:
>>
>>> After installed FreeBSD 6.3 on two machines, and X server cannot be
>>> started somehow on either one.
>>>
>>> Both "X -configure" and "X -probeonly" failed and errors are in
>>> attached file -- Xerr.
>>> Also, Xorg.o.log is attached.
>>>

>> (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
>> (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
>> (EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
>> (EE) Failed to load module "vga" (module does not exist, 0)
>> (EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module does not exist, 0)
>> (EE) Failed to load module "kbd" (module does not exist, 0)
>> (EE) No drivers available.
>>

>> How did you add Xorg? It looks like you are completely missing
>> drivers. Did you reboot the computers after the XOrg was added.
>>
> I did not add Xorg. From installation, I selected either 5
> (X-Developer) or 7 (X-Kern-Developer).
> This is what older FreeBSD installation used to add X Window system.

That should be enough. Did you create initial xorg.conf.new file with
Xorg -configure?

> Is this an issue for 6.3 installation?
> I will try to add Xorg manually to see if this can fix the problem.
>
> -Jin
I have no clue. I tried to play recently with 7.0 which is not as stable
as 6.3. I wanted to use Miro. Xorg was properly installed and configured
but it was crushing right after the start.
The same machine is running OpenBSD 4.2 without any issues.I actually
tried to start X even with VESA driver
(normaly I would use i810)  and very conservative options but aval:-(.
It is 10 year old PIII. So nothing fancy.