Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2007 06:48:57 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
To:        phathwa senene <phathwa_senene@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bluetooth questions

On 04/17/07 05:25, phathwa senene wrote:
> Hello, my name is Phathwa and i live in South Africa
>
> I hope that you could answer these questions for me.
>
> Is there a bluetooth device and software that is able to track my
> movement (cellphone) within a room in real time, for example if my
> cellphones bluetooth is switched on and i am walking around a room can
> the bluetooth device on my computer detect that i am in a different
> position as i walk around (can it measure the distance of where i am
> from the computer and can it handle multiple cellphones)

I don't know of a way to do that accurately, since you can't rely on the
timing of the signal due to walls, etc.  You could tell of a bluetooth
device is within range or not pretty easily.  Maybe it's possible by
triangulating, but still seems like it would be very inaccurate.  Maybe
bluetooth isn't the right way to tackle it, and instead there's a
different technology that you could use (RFID?).

Eric