Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 17:11:00 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Bryan Berch" <iridefree@hotmail.com>
Cc:        gnn@neville-neil.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems getting STABLE running on a VAIO 505TL

> From: "Bryan Berch" <iridefree@hotmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 19:48:01 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> My question here is it better to cvsup after an install or to first make a
> custom kerenel and then do a cvsup to stable?

There is really no answer to this as they are effectively unrelated
operations.

My preference is to customize my kernel on a stable system so that I
am only tweaking one variable set at a time. That way, if things don't
work, I KNOW that the problem is my customization and not a problem
with my updated sources. Not that this is proof as the kernel
customization may pull in new source code that you have never
used. but it does narrow the scope of the search for the trouble.

But, I have often wanted to customize a kernel to use some new
capability (like the recent PCMCIA stuff) that requires an update.

Also, it is NEVER a good idea to just build a new kernel after a
source update as this may leave the kernel out of sync with userland
and break any number of things.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)