Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 15:55:20 -0700
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Hans Glitsch <hans@flash.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Please help.

> I have completed the instalation of FreeBSD on my system and it seems to
> work OK, but I discovered that I need to rebuild my kernel because I am
> using a PS/2 mouse :-(. Which means that I need to get the package that
> contains the kernel sources. Am I right? or am I going in the wrong direction?

What install method are you using?

if you have networking, you can ftp to ftp.freebsd.org, cd
/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE/src, binary, and mget ssys.*

Then change to /usr/src, and run 'cat ssys.* | tar xzf -'.

That should create a 'sys' directory that will have the kernel sources in it.

> I also need to redo the dos partition that I made with fips.exe because it's
> too small for the BSD package that I need. How do I delete a partition made
> with fips.exe?

Use FDISK.

> Also, how do I transfer files back and forth between the dos and FreeBSD
> file system?

Normally, you'd mount the dos filesystem with mount_msdos, but since you
FIPS'd it, I wouldn't recommend that.  I'd use floppies if the stuff you're
transferring will fit on them.

There are problems with the MSDOSFS that can cause corruption if FIPS has
resized them (particularly, if the sector size changes).