Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 00:40:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: How did the MSFT monopoly start?

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Greg Lehey wrote:

:On Wednesday,  8 August 2001 at 16:45:27 -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
:> Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> types:
:>> On Tuesday,  7 August 2001 at  0:29:20 -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
:>>> They switched to the Intel 8088 (*not* 8086, yet) because Motorolla
:>>> could not commit volume, and IBM wanted a license to fabricate.
:>> This seems unlikely.  Where do you get this from?  At the time, the PC
:>> project was just another pie-in-the sky project, an attempt to do
:>> better than the failed 5100.
:>
:> I don't recall the model numbers on the IBM machines at all. Could the
:> 5100 have been the lab machine mentioned above?
:
:I don't think so.  It was billed as a personal computer.  I saw one
:once in the late 70's: we were an IBM shop at the time, and they tried
:to sell one to us, in vain.  IIRC it was an integrated box, keyboard,
:monitor and CPU, not expandable.

I think this was the IBM 9000?

--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com