Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 2004 23:02:53 -0500
From:      James <james@towardex.com>
To:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>, Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: New ICMP limits

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 06:21:07PM -0800, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 03:53:07PM +0100, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> > I'll take care of this but I'm busy right now.  Look into it later this week.
>
> Thanks for looking into this, this is one of the items which came up on
> the TODO lists of three separate projects (TowardEX's, XORP's, and the
> Network Junta's). If you aren't able to look at it let us know so someone
> else can step up to the mic.
>
> Of course, the sooner we can remove ARP's special meaning from RTF_REJECT,
> the better - that would let us implement RTF_REJECT in the fastforwarding
> path without further worry.

When we have routing table cleaned up (e.g. remove arp off of it), I'll look
into getting out some patch for installing /32 host routes for all
receive-adjacent addresses. This way we don't have to run a hash lookup at
ip_fastforward() to find out whether address belongs to us. We can simply
either route it to lo0 as a receive-path (like in Cisco GSR/7500 rcvpath and
Juniper loopback path) or send it to a separate input handling routine with
packet filtering before returning to ip_input.

Unless ofcourse, someone already has it made up and ready to go -- in that
case there is no need ;)

Thanks,
-J

--
James Jun                                            TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
Technical Lead                      Boston IPv4/IPv6 Web Hosting, Colocation and