Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 2020 08:56:42 +0100
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Alternatives to security/swatch

On 15/03/20 18:09, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm using security/swatch to look *in real time* for specific strings in
> my logs, but now it's deprecated because it's unfetchable.
>
> Can someone suggest an alternative?
>
> N.B. I'm not looking for something that will parse logs at specified
> times (e.g. run from cron); I already have logcheck.
> I'm using swatch, in addition to that, to look for things that require
> immediate attention, by piping syslogd into it.
>
> Bonus for not requiring too many dependencies :)

In the past I've used misc/logsurfer for such purpose.

I'm not using it anymore since I'm now using fail2ban for the purpose.
BTW it also does monitor log files in real time and with clever
programming could also work as a notification system, but I agree that's
not it's primary purpose.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>