Date:      Thu, 09 Apr 2015 20:50:21 -0400
From:      "pathiaki2@yahoo.com" <pathiaki2@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Initial request to server extremely slow after longer periods of inactivity

Could this be a simple name resolution timeout issue?

Check your /etc/resolv.conf file and comment out the first server and
see if using the second server gets faster response.

A simpler check would be to put the host that is connecting to the
machine IPs address in the /etc/hosts and turn off DNS resolution in
/etc/nsswitch.conf.

P.