Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:37:18 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Benjamin Sher <delphi123@zebra.net>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD -- urgent hard drive issue

--nextPart3079770.pLgKkTDkRk

Am Montag, 20. Juni 2005 17:24 schrieb Benjamin Sher:
> Dear friends:
>
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 5.4. The install CD that I created in Nero
> is fine. I also
> printed out all the info I could on my system. I have two primary hard
> drives, each 40G
> in capacity: The first one has Windows XP on it. The second disk is
> completely blank. I
> would like to install FreeBSD on this second disk and to use it
> entirely. When I booted
> up to the Install screen I saw the option of choosing ado or ad1. I did
> read about this
> earlier on the FreeBSD home page. I chose ad1and then saw the Fdisk
> screen. I don't
> need to Fdisk anything. I just want to use the second primary hard
> drive. I am very

If you choose ad1 then the partition table of ad0 (where your windows=20
resides) won't be touched. You could install FreeBSD without having a=20
MBR/Partition table but for compatibility reasons FreeBSD adopted the=20
microsoft partitions, so if you use sysinstall you have to create one=20
partition (slice would be the correct FreeBSD term) with id 165 and inside=
=20
that slice the different labels for your mount points.

> much afraid that I might do something wrong and wipe out my Windows
> installation. So,

Well, since you're doing regulary backups this won't be a matter, right? ;)

=2DHarry