Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 10:30:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        krd@plaza.ds.adp.com (Keith Dickey)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Corrupted root file system recovery.

> This is a duplicate of a previous inquiry.

> Is there a procedure to boot from floppy disk in order to run `fsck' on
> the root file system?

Usual procedure here is to boot to single user - enter '-s' at the boot:
prompt.  Root is mounted read-only, and may be safely fsck'd.

If you haven't tried this, give it a try.

P.S.: It is possible to built a boot floppy with a limited set of
recovery tools.  I have never done this myself.  Perhaps someone else
can point you in the right direction.