Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 21:20:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
Cc:        perhaps@yes.no, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Password verification (Was: cvs commit: ports/x11/kdebase - Imported sources)

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:

> A lot.  You just have not seen the aplication yet...
>
> Think in xlock, for the most obvious example.

  xlock is rather specialized.

> //   I don't find this very useful.  For example, lets say you want a web
> // server to be able to verify passwords, but the web server is running as a
> // "www" user, so it can't anything but its own password?  The pwcheck daemon
> // is a little more useful.  It allows me to have fairly unprivledged servers
> // check passwords.
>
> Then what you want is to disable shadow passwords at all ?

  Can't be done, even if that is what I wanted.

> Or, maybe, that a GROUP of uids could see every other password.
> It is a way of thinking, and may be useful too.

  Sure, that is what the pwcheck daemon does.

> But what do you want to do with other people password without
> root privs ?  "Hey, I know you are who you say you are, but
> I can do nothing for you.  I'm just nobody, sorry".

  Who says you can't do anthing if you aren't root?  I have a POP/IMAP
server which run completely non-root (avoiding all the nasty bugs that
appeared in UW-imapd), and it uses the pwcheck daemon to do this.

  A web server is also a good example.  You don't want it running as root,
but you want to restrict certain things to certain users found in the
passwd file.

> 					Jonny
>
> --
> Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
> +55 21 290-4698				jonny@coppe.ufrj.br
> Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro	UFRJ/COPPE/CISI
> PGP fingerprint: 29 C0 50 B9 B6 3E 58 F2  83 5F E3 26 BF 0F EA 67

Tom