Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:00:08 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>, Shteryana, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, "Constantine A. Murenin" <cnst@freebsd.org>, Shopova <syrinx@freebsd.org>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porting OpenBSD's sysctl hw.sensors framework to FreeBSD

Quoting John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> (from Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:45:26 -0400=
):

> On Wednesday 11 July 2007 07:49:59 am Alexander Leidinger wrote:

>> On the other hand you don't want to allow an userland tool to directly
>> mess around with the registers on your RAID or NIC to get some status...
>
> Err, that's how all the RAID utilities I've used work.  They send firmware
> commands from userland and parse the replies in userland.  One exception I=
've

That's sad... they should provide this functionality in the driver =20
instead, it would allow to use access restrictions for some parts.

> seen so far is that for software RAID the firmware you are talking to is t=
he
> driver, not firmware on the card, so you use ioctls directly rather than a=
> ioctl that sends a command to the firmware on the card.

But you have to run this tool as root, don't you? You don't want to =20
let a user run such a tool (and nowadays even desktops start to have =20
RAID, so whoever sits at the machine may be interested to see some =20
status on his desktop).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
CCI Power 6/40: one board, a megabyte of cache, and an attitude...

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137