Date:      Wed, 10 Aug 2005 06:55:18 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ad10: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying	request)	LBA=11441599

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 04:46:18AM +0200, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> >SII chipsets were ok in 4.x, but the newer ATA code broke badly with them.
> >I've had a PR open on this since February, and many others have reported
> >similar issues.  The problems still exist in the 6.x-BETA releases I've
> >checked out, and are in some cases MORE severe (for me anyway) than they are
> >in 5.4.
>
> Well, it doesn't affect just the SII chips.. I see the same on an
> Intel ICH6 chipset but never after the kernel has mounted the root
> fs. Sometimes it takes several attempts until it manages to do so,
> though. The machine works w/o any such problems on other OSes. I've
> deferred update of another machine (which is a hosted box and cannot
> afford random hangs at boot) because of general flakeyness of the
> ATA/SATA code in 5.4 (significantly worse than with 5.3, imho). If
> these issues don't go away completely soon (in 6.x) I'll have to
> look for some alternative system which doesn't make such a fuss
> with mainstream hardware.
>
> mkb.

Yep.

4.x was perfectly stable on the hardware in question here.

The "feature set" of the newer ATA code may be better, but the stability is
significantly worse.  IMHO "requiring" 3ware cards for drives to work right
is such a huge step backwards that for the lower-end server user, and
virtually all desktop users, it will basically kill FreeBSD off.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org		Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com	Musings Of A Sentient Mind