Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 09:21:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ady@warpnet.ro
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comment on new categories?

 *  OK, I understand we can't do this too soon, but could we please put it on
 * the TODO list ? Don't forget that the no. of ports will increase with the
 * time, and this will bloat these top-level categories; breaking them in
 * sub-categories might be a good choice, don't you think ?

Yes of course.  It will be done at some point.  But as I said, it's
much easier to go to three levels all at once, and for that to work,
we need a reasonable number of ports in most second levels first.

 *  I think if we change the style for these x-11* categories then we
 * should/must change the style for the rest of the top-level categories too!
 *  It won't look good to have net/comms/devel/... combined with
 * "x11-windowmanagers" , "x11-filemanagers", etc. Like the precedent case,
 * we should change the naming style for all of them and not just some of
 * them...

Hmm.  That's an interesting thought.  I'm not sure what to rename
"comms" and "devel" though.  (And "sysutils" and "textproc" will be
entirely too long if we rename it.... ;)

Maybe we should keep them terse to be consistent with others.  How do
people look at the categories?  sysinstall has COMMENT right next to
them so I don't think being terse is a problem there.  Maybe we should
fix the ports web page to include that too.  And I would think the
rest of us (developers) will get used to it very quickly.

Satoshi